Our Expertise

IRP Registration

The International Registration Plan is a registration reciprocity agreement among states of the United States, the District of Columbia and provinces of Canada providing for payment of license fees on the basis of fleet distance operated in various jurisdictions.

Who is required to register under the IRP?

According to the Plan under section 204,

  • all apportionable vehicles, which meansany vehicle except for recreational vehicles, vehicles displaying restricted plates, city pick up and delivery vehicles, buses used in transportation of chartered parties, and government-owned vehicles, used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and;
  • is a power unit having two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds or 11,793.401 kilograms; or
  • is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
  • is used in combination, when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds or 11,793.401 kilograms gross vehicle weight.
  • Trucks and truck tractors, and combinations of vehicles having a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or 11,793.401 kilograms or less and buses used in transportation of chartered parties may be proportionally registered at the option of the registrant.

What is considered a fleet?

A fleet is one or more apportionable vehicles (allowing for single vehicle fleet apportionment).

Are trailers and semi-trailers required to be apportioned?

No, the Plan does not require the apportionment of trailers

How do I add/ delete or transfer vehicles in my fleet during a registration year?

These changes are accomplished through the submission of appropriate supplemental applications. For detailed information, contact your base jurisdiction.

Is there a procedure for changing registered gross vehicle weights during the registration year?

Yes. You must file a supplemental application and pay additional fees when the gross weight is to be increased. For detailed information, contact your base jurisdiction. You can find contact information for jurisdiction offices at the following link:

Vagans Inc can be your one stop solution for all your IRP Registrations, please contact us at 416-473-8472