Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) is a joint government business initiative to build cooperative relationships that strengthen overall supply chain and border security. Detailed information is available on the Customs and Border Protection web site.
Why Join C-TPAT?
- Fewer Customs exams! According to the Customs and Border Protection Commissioner, “Shipments of C-TPAT members are six times less likely to undergo contraband enforcement and antiterrorism security exams and four times less likely to be scrutinized for trade-related compliance issues.” A single Customs exam can easily add over $1,000 in out-of-pocket expense and result in significant shipment delay.
- Front of the line!the event of a Customs exam a C-TPAT participant’s container is examined before a non-C-TPAT participant’s container. For imports by truck C-TPAT carriers enjoy FAST lanes for expedited clearance.
- Business Resumption! In the event of a significant disruption to import traffic, a C-TPAT participant’s cargo will be given first priority when the ports of entry are re-opened by Customs.
- Reduced ISF Penalties! An ISF Importer which is a certified Tier 2 or Tier 3 C-TPAT member may receive additional mitigation of up to 50% of the normal mitigation amount, depending upon tier of C-TPAT participation.
What is Required to Join C-TPAT?
Businesses must apply to participate in C-TPAT. Participants complete an agreement with Customs that commits them to conduct a comprehensive self-assessment of their international supply chain based on the following C-TPAT security criteria:
- Business Partner Requirements
- Container Security
- Container Inspection
- Physical Access Controls
- Personnel Security
- Procedural Security
- Security Training and Threat Awareness
- Information Technology Security
How Can Vagans inc Help?
Vagans Inc has developed a package of templates for use by Importers, Freight Forwarders, NVOCC's, Customs Brokers and U.S./Canada and Mexico Land Border Carriers, Foreign Manufacturers (Mexico or Canada) and other Supply Chain participants who want to obtain their C-TPAT certification.
Our templates will assist you in preparing your C-TPAT Security Profile which you will upload to Customs during your Online Application process. Our template package, updated to the latest Customs requirements, includes:
- Action Plan - step-by-step instructions
- Security Profile - template to create your Security Profile on Customs C-TPAT Portal
- Security Policy - template to create a C-TPAT Security Policy
- Business Partner Security Requirements
- Business Partner Security Questionnaire
- C-TPAT Training Presentation
- 5 Step Risk Assessment Process Guide
- 7 Point Container Checklist
- 17 Point Tractor Trailer Checklis